Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Banner for Paige

My niece Paige has a birthday coming soon. I had seen an idea for making banners on the Outside The Margins website.
I had an 8 1/2 x 12" piece of red felt in my stash; how great that there are sparkles in the felt also. I cut the piece of felt in half lengthwise (4 1/4" x 12"). Then marking with a pencil I created triangles that were 4" across the top; that gave me the 5 flags that I would need.




I cut the felt into 5 triangles measuring 4" across and 4 1/4" long; each flag will be for one letter of Paige's name.







I wrapped black and silver fiber 2 or 3 times around each of the flags. I adhered the fiber to the flags on the backside with Sobo fabric glue. I'm hoping this holds it in place. If you look closely at the photo you can see a shadow like image where the fiber and glue cross the back of each flag. I'm hoping that doesn't show through when Paige hangs the banner in her room. Then I attached pieces of silver rick rack along the edges using red line tape.


Here's the finished banner for Paige. I added a silver fabric star with a glue dot to the bottom of each flag. The letters are metal; I picked them up at a scrap rummage sale. Each letter is attached with a silver brad. I cut 2 slits in the top of each flag and strung a silver metallic ribbon through each.
I'll see Paige in about 10 days to give this to her as part of her birthday gift. I hope she likes it and can hang it in her room.
I'm working on a few more banners for Paige's 2 sisters and for some friends.

No comments: