We had a great play day at Maggi's. Maggi, Pea, Mary, and I got together with the intention of trying various background techniques. Each of us came with several ideas. Other than a break for lunch, delicious corn and wild rice chowder and sandwiches, and another break for dessert, yummy pie, we worked from 9 AM until about 3:30. We had a great time, completed lots of backgrounds, and came up with some ideas for our WI Art Retreat to be held sometime in October this year.
And then she jumped into Mary's bag...
She attempted to take a nap in the bag, but there was too much activity going on so eventually she wandered over to her little bed.
Notice how you can still see the embossing. It does not get covered by the inks.
Once we were finished with this step, we moved on to the next step. This technique produces 2 background pieces not just one.
We placed a piece of non glossy card stock on top of the piece we just inked and then ironed them. Yes, iron. I brought along a travel iron that I use for crafting and it worked great. The heat of the iron melts the embossing powder transferring a colored image onto the non coated card stock. Here are the results...
On a regular piece of card stock Pea had stamped a background image (all the swirls) by applying white acrylic paint to her stamp using a sponge brush. Pea brought one of these for each of us. Next we all stamped the 'postal' type image using slate, black, or brown ink. After the ink dried we rubbed the card with a paper towel removing some of the ink from the painted areas. For the last step we applied distress ink with the ink applicator tool. As in the previous technique we first applied ink directly from the ink pad to our craft sheet, spritzed with water, and then used the foam ink applicator. Here are the rest of our pieces...
We all rummaged through a large pile of mulberry and handmade paper. Maggi gave each of us a small plate for pva and a sponge brush along with a water brush. We would tear our papers by first applying water with the water brush to aid the tearing process. Then we would attach our strips and pieces of handmade papers to a piece of card stock or watercolor paper using the pva. Here are the results of our efforts...
She gave us each a roll of waterproof tape. We are creating our own tissue tape. We laid several strips of the tape onto our craft sheet. There were several ways to approach this.
- You could stamp images onto the tape and be done
- You could stamp images onto the tape and then apply more color with other inks on top of the images
- You could color the tape with various types of inks and then stamp images
If you wanted to use a dark ink for stamping the images it was best to use a stazon or india black ink, but even those did not dry quickly.
The technique calls for putting a little water, a little dish soap, and water soluble paint into a small bowl. The aluminum pan we first started with was too large, but we struggled through with our first batch of green bubbles.
We used some regular white card stock, some glossy card stock, and some colored card stock.
But if you try this ... make sure you only blow through that straw!! You sure wouldn't want to suck any of that stuff in... YUCK!!!
Mary brought a large aluminum pan that she sprayed the shave cream into. Then several of us took turns selecting 3 colors of reinkers to drop into the shave cream.
Mary used a plastic knife to move the ink through the shave cream.
It was amazing how different the card looked after totally removing the shave cream.
In this grouping of pieces are 2 techniques. For both we used a combination of distress inks and brilliance inks.
We used uncoated white card stock and glossy card stock.
This technique is called Faux Marble.
I brought a sheet of heavy duty acetate for everyone to use.
The instructions were to sponge the reinkers onto the acetate using a synthetic sponge, and to not overlap the colors.
Next lay a piece of glossy card stock onto the acetate and brayer.
Then peel off the card stock.
We tried to drop the reinker onto the sponge and them dab onto the acetate.
I found that whichever way I applied the reinkers to the acetate that if I spritzed the acetate with water before laying down my glossy card I got better results.
We made sure we didn't use any permanent ink reinkers so that we could clean off the acetate and apply a different set of colors for another batch of card stock.
It was such a fun day...
Thanks for hosting our play day Maggi... and thanks for the delicious lunch!!
Thanks for taking a day off work to join us Pea!!!