Thursday, October 13, 2011

Accordion fold gift box with cards

In September a friend of mine shared this project with me and a few others... an accordion gift box with matching cards. You can see her creation along with instructions and a video from Split Coast Stampers on her blog...
http://craftiblog.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/2011-10-10-acordion-fold-gift-box-wcards-2/
Since making my first project I've adjusted the size of the gift box slightly since I typically use 6 1/2 x 4 3/4" envelopes rather than the A2 size. So rather than use a 6 x 12" piece of paper for the body of the box, I use a 7 1/2 x 12" paper. And rather than use a 4 x 6" piece of paper for the flap of the box, I use a 4 x 7 1/2" piece. That also means that my scoring for the body of the box is different also. I score at 5", 6 3/4", and 11 1/2".
I've been busy making 6 more of these gift boxes each with 5 matching cards. For the gift box shown here I used a sheet of 12x12" paper from a packet of K&Co designer paper called Sea Glass. All 36 sheets included in this pack are nautical themed and double sided. I used the basket weave patterned paper to create the gift box. The reverse side of this paper, seen on the flap and sides of the box is made up of many nautical and travel related words and phrases. When making the 5 cards for this gift box I used other sheets found in this designer pack.
On the left the lighthouse image (Our Daily Bread) was stamped and cut out with a spellbinders oval and mounted to a lacy oval. A sentiment cut from the K&Co paper pack was mounted to a spellbinders fancy tag and then mounted to a layer of striped paper attached to a blue card.
The blues and greens of the card in the center are more subtle. The sailboat was stamped and cut out with a spellbinders oval die and then mounted onto a spellbinders lacy oval die. The sailboat patterned paper was torn on a diagonal with the sailboats shown on one half of the card and the reverse of that paper (stripes) shown on the other half of the card. A small strip of the stripes was cut and crimped and attached across the top of the card.
In searching my stamps for other nautical themed stamps I found the pelican used on the card on the right. After stamping him I cut him with a spellbinders diamond shape die and mounted it onto a larger diamond die. It was then layered onto one of the patterned papers in the K&Co pack and a piece of tan card stock before being attached to the green card. A sheer brown ribbon was used to embellish the bottom of the card.
The beautifully coordinated papers in this paper pack made it possible for me to clip various words and sentiments that worked well with these images.
The nautilus stamp (Stamp Zia) used on the left was mounted on a spellbinders lacy circle die while the words in the lower right of the card were mounted on a spellbinders fancy tag die. I used some blue card stock that coordinated well with the printed paper from the K&Co pack.
On the right I stamped the lighthouse (Our Daily Bread) and then cut with a spellbinders oval die and mounted onto a larger spellbinders deckle edge oval die. The printed paper used on the bottom portion of the card is from the K&Co pack while the background paper is Basic Grey. I attached a single piece of fiber down the right side of the card.


This accordion gift box and matching cards were made from a sheet of 12x12" decorative double sided paper from a specialty pack made by Cloud 9 Design. I used a silver and black cord for the handle and an EK Success border punch on the flap of the box.





Stars and stripes on the left with decorative fabric stars attached vertically on the side next to a small strip of striped paper, and the rays embossing folder (Tim Holtz) used on silver paper covering the right side of this card.
Retro circles embossing folder (Tim Holtz) was used on white paper for the top portion of the middle card. Stormy sky distress ink was lightly applied across the embossed circles to add some color. Spellbinders circle dies were used for the sentiment attached in the center of the card.
On the right, the swiss dots embossing folder (cuttlebug) was used on the top portion of the blue card while the striped paper was attached to the bottom half. Silver rick rack helps to define the card and a spellbinders fancy tag die used for the sentiment.

Buttons and decorative ribbon provide interest for the card on the left. The striped side of the paper was used as well as the solid blue (reverse side) with spellbinders oval shaped dies placed in the center for the sentiment.
On the right fleur de lis was the theme using the cuttlebug embossing folder and spellbinders dies for the sentiment as well as corner embellishments. A narrow strip of the stripped paper was crimped and attached across the center of the card.



This accordion gift box is bold and bright. I found this paper at my LSS (Polka Dots). Stripes on one side and floral on the other. I happened to have a piece of ribbon in my stash that was almost, but not quite, a perfect color match for this box. The border punch I used on the front flap is made by EK Success. I wasn't sure how these patterns or bright colors would work on this project, but I really like it! Now, I need to pick the right person to give this to.




These cards would brighten anyone's day! The cards on the right and left use both sides of the decorative paper mixing the floral with the stripes and adding floral embellishments created with cuttlebug and sizzix dies.
The card in the middle has a stars and stripes theme. A stars embossing folder (cuttlebug) and red star brads provide the stars that work so well with the striped paper.





These 2 cards go from mild to wild because I used the floral side of the paper for one of the cards and the bold stripes for the other.
On the left I used the stylized flowers embossing folder (cuttlebug) to coordinate with the patterned paper. I used an EK Success border punch to punch both a brown layer of card stock and the patterned paper. A sheer ribbon was attached to the left edge with red brads to help finish off the card.
On the right I went with a fleur de lis embossing folder (cuttlebug) and continued with that theme using spellbinders dies that also showcase the fleur de lis pattern. Using a deep blue card really made this a bold card.


The 12x12" paper used for this gift box and cards came from a specialty pack made by Cloud 9 Design. The blues and browns gave me plenty of options for choosing coordinating paper and embellishments.
The front flap was punched with an EK Success border punch and a light blue satin ribbon was used as a handle for the gift box.







I really like the retro circles embossing folder (Tim Holtz) and I used it on the two cards on the left. The card on the right uses the polka dots embossing folder (quick cuts) which leaves a much less defined impression in the paper. Spellbinders dies were used for all 3 of these cards for the sentiments . Ribbon, buttons, and brads were used as embellishments. I have plenty of embellishments to choose from!



It's a good thing I have multiple embossing folders with spots or dots or circles so I could give each of these cards a different look.
On the left I used my spots and dots embossing folder (cuttlebug) on brown card stock. I had the perfect blue and brown striped ribbon, and a brown button to use for embellishments.
On the right the swiss dots embossing folder (cuttlebug) was used on white card stock. A strip of blue card stock, the reverse side of the dotted paper, was cut and crimped to create a border across the middle of the card.
Spellbinders dies were used on both cards for the sentiments.


For this gift box I used 2 sheets of double sided 12x12"paper that were in a pack of specialty paper by Cloud 9 Design. One sheet was light blue dotted nested circles on a black background with the reverse side being light blue, and the other sheet was dark blue dotted nested circles on a light blue background.
On the front flap of the gift box I used an EK success border punch that seemed appropriate for the circle theme. The handle is light blue satin ribbon... I love it when I can use things that I already have on hand. I have sooooo much stuff on hand!


I used the blue circles on black background paper to cover about half of each card. I used embossing folders for the 2 cards on the left: retro circles (Tim Holtz) and spots and dots (cuttlebug). For the card on the right I used the reverse side of the patterned paper. I had ribbon that worked well with the 2 cards shown on each end. And once again spellbinders dies came in handy to mount and layer the focal image of each card.



For these cards I used paper with the same dotted nesting circles, but the color scheme was dark blue circles on light blue background. On the left I went with the circle theme. I cut out 3 different size circles from the coordinating blue on black paper, mounted them on spellbinder inverted scallop circle dies cut from silver mirror card stock. I used a clear stardust gel pen to highlight the many light blue dots on the dark circles.
On the right I also used some of the coordinating blue on black paper, but just a strip, that I ran through the paper crimper before attaching to the center of the card. I used the swiss dots cuttlebug embossing folder on the white/top portion of the card and a spellbinders die as a background for the sentiment.



I loved working with this piece of paper.. love the theme and the colors. I found it at my LSS (Polka Dots) and I've already gone back for more of it. I have a friend who is crazy about clocks and I know when she sees this... she will want it!!
The ribbon I used for the handle was in my stash and worked great with the colors in the paper. The front flap of the purse was punched with an EK Success border punch... I don't know what the name of it is.



I used various spellbinders labels and tags for the sentiments on the front of each card. The embossing folders used, from left to right, are: distressed stripes (cuttlebug), number collage (cuttlebug), and retro circles (Tim Holtz). I used decorative ribbons to spice up the 2 cards on the right, and a great little clock embellishment from Sky Blue Pink for the card in the middle... perfect!





I used cuttlebug embossing folders on both of these cards... 'clockworks' on the left and 'script' on the right. I also used spellbinders labels on each for the text that is on the front of the cards, and a buckle die for the card on the left.

My embossing folders and spellbinders dies got a workout making the 30 cards that go with these 6 accordion gift boxes. It took a lot of time, but was fun. I can't wait to give some of these as gifts.. much nicer than giving a packet of cards tied together with a ribbon!

1 comment:

bonnie32002 said...

Good Golly Molly! I've created a card making monster (in a good way) LOL! These are awesome, each and every set. I love what you did