Monday, October 29, 2012

WI Art Camp 2012 - Day 3

 Onward to Day 3.  Today was transfer day; there were several that we tried: TAP, transparency, and deli wrap.
Margaret had brought supplies for us to use and had printed some images on her printer at home using both TAP and transparencies.  We weren't sure if a special type of printer was necessary for those types of transfers.  
 It is a good thing Margaret printed some images for us.  I was able to print onto the TAP at first, but later on I couldn't get the specialty paper to feed through my printer.  I was extremely frustrated.  I think that I may have 'gummed up' my print rollers when I printed images onto the slightly waxed deli wrap because it seemed that after I did that is when I began to have issues with the TAP.
 Using the TAP was so easy.  Once the image was printed onto the TAP all you had to do was iron the image onto whatever you were transferring the image onto.
You don't have to use a printer to get the images onto TAP; you can draw on it also and then perform the transfer.  TAP is a Leslie Riley product and they carry it at the Artist and Display store in Milwaukee.  Several of the ladies bought some when we stopped there on Wednesday on our way to Jan's house.
 When doing the transparency and deli wrap transfer techniques you needed to use soft gel medium.  I think we all tried some of each type of transfer. 
Jan also brought some lutrador for us to try.  This product has the look and feel of interfacing.  After you transfer an image to it you can use a heat gun to get the edges to curl or to create burn holes on the edge or in the center of the piece... very cool!!!
.Margaret knew lots about transfers and so did Jan... so both of them really helped us out with this project.

 In between projects on day 2 and day 3 those who hadn't finished working on the aprons did so.  Here we are modeling our embellished aprons.  Everyone loved theirs and had a great time working on this project.  I'm not sure what will happen if any of us try to wash our aprons!!!
 
 Just in case our group picture didn't turn out we, or should I say Bob, took many.  I picked the best to show on the blog... some serious and some silly.
 I was in the front row so I didn't know what was going on behind me... now I know.
 Some of us have on our pins.... yes, Bev made us pins for our WI Art Camp... just like she had made last year.

 Jan also brought her gelli plate.  It is a rather new product that we played with.  This too was a hit with some people and when we stopped at Artist and Display there were several flying off the shelf. 
Jan demoed and most people tried it out to create backgrounds.  Basically, you apply layers of various acrylic paints to the thick gel plate and then can use stencils or texture pieces (like bubble wrap and punchinella) to create interest and depth
 I was watching the fun and still trying to get my printer to work with the TAP that Margaret brought for us to play with.  The more I tried, the more frustrated I got... I just don't know when to give up.
 Margaret is showing off one of her creations. She loved the plate.
We're getting toward the end of the afternoon and some of us are winding down.  Jan had to leave because it was Monday and she had to be home for her son.  I'm not sure what the rest of us are working on.
We were trying to fit 2 projects in each day, but we decided in the future that 1 project a day is probable enough.... besides, we need time to talk and enjoy each other without the stress of projects.

No comments: