Saturday, April 23, 2011

Distressed Newsprint

I was searching for some techniques to try and found this one on Stamp TV. It is called distressed newsprint.
Cut a piece of newsprint the size you need; this one is 5 1/4 x 4". Using 3 colors of distress inks, first apply tattered rose in a direct to paper fashion. You do not need to cover the entire piece of newsprint. Next, using a foam sponge applicator, apply tea dye pouncing the applicator over the piece of newsprint. Again, you do not need to cover the entire piece. Now, crumple up the newsprint tightly and then smooth out on a flat surface. Take the 3rd distress ink, vintage photo, and gently apply over the top of the newsprint with the sponge applicator. What you are doing is applying the color to the raised areas of the crumpled paper. Here is a link to the technique as shown on Stamp TV...
http://stamptv.ning.com/video/distressed-newsprint
I used nestabilities dies to cut the 2 layers. For the blue piece I also embossed so that I could apply ink to the inside edge of the label.

I know golf is not just a 'man's sport', but it still makes a nice masculine card. I used a couple of oval nestabilities to cut the layers for the golf club image. A little brown ink was used to shade the inside edge of the smaller oval. I like how that color makes the image and the layering pop off the card.
I will definitely used the distressed newsprint technique again!

No comments: