Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Recycled holiday cards

CCSwaps is having a "Recycle the Holidays" swap. So I looked through the many wonderful Christmas cards we received and chose a few of them to work with.
One of our cards had this wonderful central image of a silver glittery snowflake on a blue square. I trimmed the square and snowflake from the card and made it the central image of another card. I ran a piece of light blue card stock through the cuttlebug with a snowflake embossing folder and attached the 'recycled' snowflake to it. Before attaching that piece to the dark blue card I placed 2 silver snowflake brads in the center of 2 of the embossed snowflakes. Then, I used silver glitter on some of the embossed snowflakes. This is the card that will go to my partner in the swap.

I didn't have to do much to create this bright holiday card. The 4 pieces of the Christmas tree were part of a card that we received. I just took them off that card and placed them onto a piece of bright blue card stock that I ran through the cuttlebug with a snowflake embossing folder. I attached a silver fabric star to the top of the tree and mounted the piece onto a lime green card.
Then I used silver glitter to spice up some of the embossed snowflakes.
This isn't your typical red and green Christmas card, but I like the bright colors it adds to the already festive holiday.





Who says that when you recycle holiday cards that you need to create another holiday card??? Not me!
The aqua colored star with the rhinestone center that is in the lower right corner of this card is from a Christmas card I received in 2009. I have a cuttlebug star embossing folder and some silver fabric stars...so...
I cut a piece of silver metallic card stock in a triangular shape so that it would fit onto the right side of the shimmery green scrapbook paper I had cut to 4 x 5 1/4". I taped the silver onto the other before running it through the cuttlebug so that the stars landing on the diagonal line where the 2 pieces joined would be in sync. Before attaching to a light gray card I inserted the alpha brads that spell "wish". I attached 3 silver fabric stars in various places and attached the 'recycled' aqua star. This card could be given for a variety of occasions.

No comments: