Sunday, January 17, 2010

Joy Fold cards

I am enjoying making and giving these 'Joy Fold' Cards. To get more info on the specifics of what size the pieces are and how to put them together google "Joy Fold Cards".
I used the central image and the sentiments found inside this card that are found on Sweetpea Plate #2. Both the base and center panel of this card were cut from a wine-colored card stock. I used some handmade background papers that I had laying around on the various panels of this card. I stamped the central image onto the background paper using india black ink and then trimmed before attaching to the front of the center panel.
I've partially opened the card in this photo. The butterfly closure was created with a Cuttlebug die and then embossed with another cuttlebug embossing folder. Before embossing the butterfly I rubbed a metallic brilliance ink pad on the folder so that the crevices of the butterfly would be metallic. I then applied clear embossing powder and heated. I attached the butterfly to the left panel using raised foam squares so that the corner of the center panel would easily fit under the wing of the butterfly and remain closed.
With this card fully opened you can see the handmade background papers I used to cover both the left and center of the base piece of the card. On the left side I cut a piece of wine-colored card stock (the same used for the base and center panel), punched decorative photo corners, and inserted a mauve-colored piece of card stock that was stamped with one of the sentiments available on this Sweetpea plate. The simple 'Happy Birthday' sentiment was stamped inside the center panel leaving space for the person sending this card to write a personal message.

For this Joy Fold Card I used an image from the Ching-Chou Kuik Fantasy collection; it can be found on Sweetpea Plate #21. Also, instead of creating the card in the landscape orientation, I decided to switch it up and orient the card in a portrait mode.
The base piece was cut from a rust colored card stock. I used various pieces of coordinated patterned card stock on the base and center panels of this card. On the closure for this card I cut one of the funky flowers from the patterned card stock and used raised foam adhesive squares to position the flower.

I'm holding the card partially open in this pic. I've opened the small bottom panel of the base and left the center panel closed at this point. It is easy to see the central image. I stamped her onto white card stock with india black ink and then painted her with Twinkling H2O's. I trimmed the image into a rectangle and then used a decorative corner punch. I then matted the image onto the same rust card stock that I used for the base piece of the card and used the same corner punch on that layer. Finally, I mounted the layered piece onto the front of the green center panel piece of the card.
You can also see the coordinating patterned card stock that I used on the inside of the base piece.



On the inside of the center panel of this card I stamped one of the sentiments from Plate# 21.... " Have a Magical Day". It may be a little difficult to read since I stamped it over the patterned card stock piece that I attached to the green panel. I purposely left the other side of the center panel blank so that the sender of this card could write a note to the lucky recipient.
These cards are fun to create and a breeze to make using some of the coordinating packages of card stock and scrapbook papers that are on the market now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

All I can say is "WOW"!! Gorgeous cards and I love how detailed your descriptions are. Thanks for sharing, I am a big fan of Sweet Pea Stamps!!

Patricia
the PaperTemptress

Melanie said...

Stunning!