Sunday, January 10, 2010

Altered Tin

We have an "altered container" swap going on over at CCSwaps. I started with this tin that measures 4 1/4 x 3", and 3/4" deep. Using alcohol inks and a felt applicator I applied color to the top, sides, and bottom of the tin. I actually did this twice as sometimes the first application doesn't result in the textured look I was trying to achieve. There is no need to wait between applications since alcohol inks dry so fast. By the time I was finished with the first application I was able to start on the second application. I used sail boat blue, twilight purple, and silver inks.

To decorate the top of the tin I used one of the Ching-chou Kuik images found on Sweetpea plate #21. I stamped the image using india black ink onto a piece of glossy card stock that I had colored with various alcohol inks. After trimming the image I used a corner rounder and then edged it with blueMarvy Metallic Markers. I attached the image to the center of the top of the tin with double sided tape. I used silver glitter glue and glossy accents to embellish several areas of the image.

I attached some decorative metallic trim all around the edge of the top cover. I used red line tape to attach the trim so that it would hold up to someone opening and closing the tin.

Before finishing off the inside of the tin I applied alcohol ink to the sides of the top and bottom using a piece of felt. I just wanted to cover the silver with a little color.
I had some white glossy card stock that I colored with alcohol inks using the 'polished stone' technique. I traced the top of the tin on the glossy card stock, cut it out slightly smaller than the tracing marks, and taped it to the inside top. I have a bunch of vellum booklets that contain pre-printed sayings and words, so I chose this saying, tore it out of the booklet and attached to the inside top using vellum tape. I placed a dragonfly button embellishment inside the top using a couple of glue dots.
For the inside of the bottom of the tin, I cut a piece of background paper I had created using white glossy card stock, alcohol inks, andversamark ink. I had stamped onto the white glossy card stock using versamark , let dry or dry with a heat gun, and then apply alcohol inks with a felt applicator. To get the piece of card stock to fit the bottom of the tin I just placed the tin on top of the paper and traced around it. Then I cut it out slightly smaller than the tracing. I attached the piece with double sided tape. I tore the vellum piece that waspre-printed with "Dream" and taped that down using vellum tape.
And now it is ready to give away!!! Fill it with a few pieces of chocolate and it makes a great gift to give and a great gift to receive!

No comments: