Friday, January 15, 2010

Belated Christmas gifts

This all started because of these great pictures I took of my great nieces and great nephew when they visited us at Christmas time. The pictures were so cute I had to do something with them. I cut the pictures into ovals by first running them through my Cuttlebug with a nestibilities die, and then I trimmed them down a bit more so that they would fit onto the matting that you'll see further on in this posting.




I had these ornament shaped chipboard pieces in my stash. I had gotten them at Michael's in the $1 section; there were 5 in the package... what a bargain!
I ran a gold krylon pen around both edges of each of the 4 chipboard ornaments. I assumed that even after tracing and cutting the gold, red, and green papers I was using that I wouldn't have a perfect fit and I didn't want any of the ugly brown chipboard to show through.

Here is 1 of the 4 gold pieces after I ran it through the Cuttlebug with the snowflake embossing folder. I used the chipboard piece to trace the shape onto the back side of the gold, green, and red card stock. After trimming them and checking to make sure they fit onto the chipboard I ran them all through the Cuttlebug. The gold pieces were attached to the front sides of each chipboard ornament with double sided tape.

Here is the 1 red piece after I ran it through the Cuttlebug with the snowflake embossing folder. These colored pieces (the red and the 3 green pieces) were attached to the back sides of each of the chipboard ornaments.







This is one of the 3 green pieces after I ran it through the Cuttlebug.









I cut mattings for the 4 pictures and for framing the 4 sentiments using my Cuttlebug and a nestability die. There were 4 gold pieces, to be used for the sentiments, and 3 green and 1 red piece, to be used for the pictures.





I typed the sentiment and printed it onto a silver and gold flecked vellum sheet. I had gotten the idea for the sentiment from a Christmas card we had received from my DH's Aunt. Each year she sends us a card created with family photos. This year her card was a picture of her with all her grandchildren and this sentiment.



For the backs of each ornament I cut the sentiments from the vellum using the same nestabilities die I had used to cut the pictures with. Then I also cut a piece from the gold paper using both the largest and then next size smaller. I wanted to frame the sentiment with the gold piece.








Here's a picture of the front of one of the green ornaments. I made 3 ornaments with this same picture. These are my 2 youngest great nieces and my great nephew. From left to right they are: Alivia (3), Adrian (4), and Alexa (4). The girls were posing like ballerinas in their new Holiday dresses and Adrian was taking it all in. One ornament will go to my niece Tracie, who is Alivia and Alexa's Mom, the second will go to my niece Leah, who is Adrian's Mom, and the third will go to Adrian's Grandma.
Once the cuttlebug'd pieces were taped onto the chipboard, I edged it once again with the gold krylon pen on both sides and then attached the matted pictures and sentiments onto the appropriate sides of the ornaments. It wasn't hard finding a decorative ribbon to use... I have a ton of ribbons.








This is what the back side of the green ornament looks like. The same paper that was used on the front to make the matting for the picture was used on the back.











Here is the ornament I made using red paper. The matting behind the picture is the same paper that is used on the back side. I'm going to let my two nieces decide whether they want a red or a green ornament. I hope they both don't want the red since there is only one red one!!





And here is the back side of this ornament. As a final step to both sides of all the ornaments, I added some glitter onto the raised snowflakes using a glitter gel pen. I don't know if it shows up very well in any of these pictures.
I may just decide to add some type of little dangly bead, or something, to the bottom of these. I'm just now sure about it yet.









Here is the 4th ornament. It has a different picture than the other 3. It is a picture of my 3 great nieces; they are sisters; Alivia, Alexa, and Paige (14). This ornament is going to my sister, their Grandma. The other side of this ornament is green, just like the matting behind the picture. And it has the same sentiment on the other side as the other 3 ornaments have.
I hope my sister likes it. She'll be visiting us in Feb and March. That is when I plan to give all the ornaments away.

No comments: