Saturday, October 3, 2009

Dive journal for Terri

I had made another dive journal for Terri before; it was for her recreational dive trips. This journal will be for her professional dive trips... when she is teaching students or has a client that hires her to dive.
I started with 2 pieces of mat board for the front and back covers. Before painting them with color I decided to paint them with gesso. I didn't know if this was necessary, but I had a bottle of gesso, so why not? It wouldn't hurt anything to have a layer of gesso under the paint.

The front covers were painted with lumiere paints and some acrylic paints. I just kept adding colors until I was happy with the finished look.
I brushed the edges of the covers with gold acrylic paint to get a finished look.
Both fronts and backs were painted with the same color combinations.

Here's a look at the completed journal....
After punching the holes and inserting the o-wires with the bind it all I was able to attach the letters to the front cover. The letters, except for the word 'with' are from Tim Holtz grunge board alphabet pack. I punched the word 'with' using my cuttlebug. I painted them with gold acrylic paint and attached them using my xyron. That letter 't' just fits on the cover!!!

On the left is the inside of the front cover. That is an actual picture of Terri while diving. I had typed many of the South Florida dive sites onto purple vellum and cut them into strips with decorative scissors. Some of them are attached to the inside of the front cover and there are more on other pages.
I found the 'scuba' logo on the internet and thought it appropriate to add to Terri's journal. On the right there is a plastic pocket; it is actually a badge protector. I punched it with the bind it all and included it in the journal. My intention was that Terri could store some of her diving business cards there.
The right side of this picture shows the first page. It contains a list of Terri's diving certifications... well almost all of them. She is also certified as a cave diver, so I may be doing another journal for her in the future so that she can document her cave dives in style.
I also found this 'cartoonish' representation of Terri that was on one of her dive buddy's websites.

On the back of the first page I attached some cute pics that I found while searching the internet. There are also more vellum strips with popular South Florida dive sites.
On the right side you can see the first of the journal pages. Each page contains the same info. It is data that Terri documents for each dive along with plenty of empty lines for jotting down any other information that she may want to remember.
This is the inside of the back cover. Like the inside of the front cover I attached strips of vellum that I had printed with some of dive sites that Terri has been to. And down the center of the cover I attached pictures of various sea creatures that she has seen on her many dives.
I'll be taking this with us when we go to Florida in November to visit Terri. I hope she likes the finished journal.

No comments: