Monday, March 16, 2009

Wine Bottle Book - 50th Wedding Anniversary

Our friends celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Feb 14, 2009. If that doesn't deserve something a little special, I don't know what does!
I was looking through my stash and forgot that I had purchased a wine booklet kit. I used the covers in the kit to trace and cut several wine bottle covers from some mat board. These would make great gift booklets for other occasions as well. These are the covers before I started to work on them.


I painted the booklet covers with a mixture of burgundy and purple acrylic paints. I then painted the tops of the bottles gold. Both sides of each cover are painted the same colors.






In keeping with the wine theme, I decided to describe our friends and their wonderful marriage in terminology that might also be used to describe a fine wine. It took some time for me to come up with the words and thoughts I wanted to convey, but I finally did. Once I had all my thoughts organized, pictures and words printed, and layout determined I began work on the inside of the booklet. The inside consists of cardstock that is cut and folded in an accordian manner such that it will fit between the front and back covers of the wine booklet.


Here is the front cover of the finished booklet. I used alcohol ink on some metal numbers and attached them with brads to the neck of the bottle. I used my label maker to print Tom and Ann's name and wedding date to place above the wine bottle label. I found some wine bottle labels on line, printed one off and then sized a photo of the couple to place on the label.



This is the back cover of the booklet. In keeping with the wine theme I created a label that identifies a warning and contents. In the neck of the bottle I punched a couple of holes and slipped through a wine glass charm that I had on hand.




This is a view of the open booklet from the front side. All but one of the pictures I used of Tom and Ann were taken by friends of ours that recently were on a trip with them in Mexico. The one picture, which is on the back side of the booklet, that is not of them in Mexico, was taken by me when Tom and Ann were with us on a snowmobiling trip to northern Wisconsin. All of the pictures do a good job showing the enthusiasm and love of life that our friends are known for.
I also added a few wine-related stamp images that I have.

This is a view of the open booklet from the back side. As with the front of the accordian inside there are several photos of Tom and Ann along with decorative paper, and thoughts that I typed and printed on purple vellum describing them.





Another friend of ours is having a surprise cocktail party for them to celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary and I plan to give this booklet to them at that time.

No comments: